Coming Home Posted on February 7th, 2014 by

As I packed my last items into my suitcase this morning, preparing for our flight home today, I was drawn to the sense of fulfillment that I have known during the past five weeks, and in particular, since arriving in Europe some two weeks ago.  There are no words that properly or adequately describe what we have experienced.  But one fact stands tall in my being this morning. The majesty of our tour has become possible only because of the nature of our collective community — the individual members, each bringing great effort to study and perform wonderful music in and among cultural settings other than our own.

I am deeply thankful to my colleagues–David Fienen, Karrin Meffert-Nelson, and Al Behrends — for their most excellent leadership, and for their gifts of performance, writing, organization, mentoring of students, problem solving, commitment to excellence, great care with every decision,  wonderful  counsel, and good humor.

Then too, I am profoundly thankful to the student musicians of  the Gustavus Wind Orchestra.  These are some of the finest people to be found anywhere.  I am honored to know each of them, and to have stood before them as together, we have brought wonderful music to the peoples of Europe.

Time to load the bus . . .

One Comment

1. judy fienen says:

HEAR! HEAR! You have done a marvelous job, Doug preparing and making this what must be a very positive memory for both orchestra and audience. I cant wait until the home concert to applaud in person the musicians and their conductor