Remembering Posted on January 30th, 2014 by

image

Yesterday, we visited Auschwitz. We had left Krakow earlier, with the GWO members in their usual high spirits, with happy faces and excitement “posted” for the day. But as we drew near to the place where so many perished, the bus grew silent. We were about to stand on sacred soil.

There are no words, which can adequately describe the feelings that one comes to know through a visit to Auschwitz. Something about it changes one’s view of the world. I am thankful that we had the opportunity to do this together. As one of the percussionist’s said to me after supper, “It is important that we did this today.” It is as simple and as complex as that.

1. Lynn Olsson says:

Thank you Douglas Nimmo
    I am an uncle to one of your band members. I don’t wan’t
    to embarrass her. What happened at Auschwitz was evil
    and satanic if you believe in the bible.
    The NAZI’s were evil.
    Now I wish to get light hearted.
    Please post more photos of the band members.
    Close ups please!
    Thank you.

2. Andi Readel says:

I am a parent of one students and maybe she has shared this story. Please share it with the students if she did not.

The small town in ND that I grew up in had a local doctor that was a holocaust survivor. Early in the war before gases, he was lined up with others in front of a pit to be shot. He fell when they started shooting but was not hit. When it got dark, from the bottom of the pile, he crawled out and escaped.